West Kent Sunday League News Report – Sunday 28th April 2019

WKSFL Intermediate Cup Final

A remarkably tight cup final which could have been won by either side. On ten minutes Dormansland gad a great shot to the top corner brilliantly saved by 'Slator's keeper Max Bridges. Shortly afterwards Kane Ramsell for Insulators shot just wide. On  twelve minutes Martin Ives cleared off his own line twice inside 15 seconds to keep his team in the game.

Play continued with half chances at both ends and with ten minutes remaining in the first half a cross from Jake Pingault was headed just wide by James Philpott. A few minutes later it was defender Lewis Disbury who cleared a Dormansland effort off the line. Immediately afterwards Marc Scott got a great block in to again deny Dormansland.  As half time approached a great run by Martin Page-Mitchell led to a fine shot by Jake Pingault being well saved by by the Dormansland 'keeper.

HT 0-0

Seven minutes into the second half it was another magnificent save by Max Bridges in the Slators  goal from a direct free kick that kept his team in the contest. In the 67th minute Martin Page -Mitchell had a fine run down the left wing and resulted in a great shot by Callum Lawlor. A minute later the same player had a shot tipped over by the Dormansland keeper.

The 70th minute proved decisive. A corner for Insulators was met with great power by substitute Michal Gutkowski with a great header - although the keeper did well to get a hand on the header the power took it into the net. It was Michal's second ever goal for the club in his first season.

Two minutes later Martin Page-Mitchell had a 25 yard shot tipped over by the keeper. In the 74th minute Max Bridges made yet another fine save in the Insulators goal. Within a minute, Jake Pingault's shot was tipped over the bar by the Dormansland keeper.

With just eight minutes remaining Tommy Bridger made a goal saving tackle in his own box to save a certain equaliser. As the game entered added time, Kane Ramsell was through on goal only to be brought down. Many would say the last defender was lucky to stay on the pitch.

Five minutes of added time saw Dormansland put Insulators under relentless pressure but they held on, inspired by a resolute defence, for a wonderful win to make a great day for the club.

The game was played in an excellent spirit. It's the first time the name of Insulators 1st XI has been on a cup since their Senior Cup win way back in the 1976-77 season! Rockets have the Surrey Lower Junior Cup final to look forward to in a couple of weeks time.


There is a large gallery of pictures from the game now available for purchase at bit.ly/2VyLPaa

Insulators FC
Dormansland Rockets FC
Both Teams and Match officials

WKSFL Senior Cup Semi Final Second Leg

Petts Wood Old Boys will meet Simla in the Senior Cup Final after beating Artois United 4-3 on aggregate. The first leg went the Old Boys by a single goal. Try as they might, Artois United could not claw back the deficit in the second game, which finished in a 3-3 draw. The Old Boy's scorers were Ollie Nicholas (2) and Josh Southam. Top scorer Stefan Draper scored for Artois, as did Peter Shaw and Jack Funnell.

WKSFL Junior Cup Semi - Finals Second Leg

Goudhurst United are through to the Junior Cup final after beating FC Grinstead 5-4 on aggregate over the two legs. The second leg featured a very close fought first half with both sides having a few chances to go ahead but there was no score at half-time. FC Grinstead took the lead on 65 minutes with a well taken goal scored by Charly Harris. Goudhurst kept battling and eventually equalised on 82 minutes with a good solo effort by Will Mantle.

Goudhurst kept pressure on and was awarded a definite penalty on 87 minutes. Ben Young stepped up to take the spot kick which the goalkeeper saved well, but the rebound was put in by Michael Peevor. Then Goudhurst saw the match out.

A good all round performance by Goudhurst coming back into the game after going 3 - 1  down in the first leg at home and making it 3 - 3 at home in the last 10 minutes and  winning 2-  1 away with two goals in the last ten minutes. The sometimes tense game was well refereed by Nigel Bird.

In the final on 12th May they will meet Yalding & Laddingford. Their two goal advantage after the first leg proved too much for Biggin Hill. Yalding went through 4-2 on aggregate after a 2-2 draw at The Kintons. Billy Dunn and Alex Young-Rogers scored the all important goals.

Goudhurst took four points from Yalding in the League campaign. The final is sure to be a close one.

Division One

Simla rounded off their League season with a 4-0 win at Armada, the goals coming from Matt Crompton (2), Myles Lowden and Joe Fuller. In goal, Joe Cullip kept his seventh clean sheet of the season and leads the league in that department.

West Kent Sunday League Division One including Sunday 28th April
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Artois United 12 11 0 1 46 21 25 33
2 Simla 12 9 0 3 52 10 42 27
3 Green Lane 11 9 0 2 37 22 15 27
4 Armada 10 4 0 6 31 33 -2 12
5 Pembury Sunday 11 4 0 7 31 34 -3 12
6 Green Street Blues 11 1 1 9 24 61 -37 4
7 Royal Oak 11 0 1 10 14 54 -40 1

Division Two

The only game in Division Two saw Crowborough Town and Cassidy's Phoenix share the goals in a 4-4 draw at Goldsmiths.

An interesting game, particularly for any neutral spectators, and probably a baffling game for those supporting either of these teams.

Cassidy's started well and with many regular players missing Crowborough were on the defensive from the kick-off. However, as happens in local football, midway through the first half a rare Town attack saw Frankie Pooley put them ahead. This failed to stem the visitors tidal attack on their opponent's goal but they found Ryan Hunt giving a goalkeeping display that would teach De Gea a thing or two. He kept at bay everything that Cassidy's threw at him, until the last eight minutes of the half when they managed to beat him three times.

Half Time :   Crowborough Town   1  -  3   Cassidy's Phoenix

There was to be no let up in the second half and it was no real surprise when, after five minutes, Cassidy's scored again and thus were 4-1 ahead. From here on it was the Ryan Hunt show as time and again he defied the visitors forwards from finding the net again. Then, with every Cassidy's player joining the attack to find a way past the Town keeper, they broke away to find Ollie Edwards in the right place in front of goal and it was 4 - 2.

Ten minutes later it happened again, a break away down the Crowborough right, a rare mistake by a Cassidy's defender, and Edwards was on hand to make it 4 - 3.
With the visitors increasingly desperate to beat the seemingly invincible Hunt, the Crowborough supporters held their breath. So dominant were the visitors that any more goals were likely to be in their favour until with a minute to go the ball went to Town's central defender Jay Choudhry. With tired legs he managed to take the ball just into the Cassidy's half and he went to ease the pressure. A hefty 'hoof' sent the ball onwards and upwards - it could have gone anywhere - and it sailed over the visitors keeper and into the net. Every player from both sides, including Jay, stood opened mouthed and Crowborough had stolen a point that in truth they didn't deserve - or maybe Ryan Hunt did !

Cassidy's scorers were the league's leading marksman Ben Boodle, who scored twice to bring his tally to forty and also scoring were Alex Cooper and Jason Hinkson.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two including Sunday 28th April
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Insulators 12 10 0 2 44 21 23 30
2 Petts Wood OB 10 7 2 1 38 17 21 23
3 St John's Yard 12 7 2 3 43 28 15 23
4 Cassidy's Phoenix 13 5 2 6 40 44 -4 17
5 Speldhurst Rangers 14 4 1 9 38 53 -15 13
6 Dormansland Rockets 9 4 0 5 32 32 0 12
7 Brenchley 14 3 2 9 22 56 -34 11
8 Crowborough Town 12 3 1 8 25 31 -6 10

Division Three

TW Ridgwaye will finish second in what has been a good season overall. Their penultimate game was a 4-2 win over Tonbridge United, who were unlucky to lose on Sunday.  They played a strong side and started out on the front foot.  After twenty minutes they took a deserved lead through Oliver Stell.  Half time could not come early enough for Ridgewaye.  Ridgewaye changed to a more attacking formation to play down the hill in the second half.   Within five minutes they had equalised through a bobbling shot from Callum Genery that both Dan Thomas and Harry Garside claimed to have got the last touch on.  The coaches believed Garside.  Despite constant pressure, United looked well set to hold out, and then, against the run of play, Reece Dangerfield scored with a terrific shot from wide on the right.  The keeper, Ash Cook, touched it but there was no stopping that shot, it deserved to win any match.   With ten minutes to go it was still 1-2, when Harry Garside got his second, a  rocket (not as hard as Dangerfield’s)  into the top corner.  In the last four minutes goals from Skilton and Thomas wrapped up the points for Ridgewaye.  United had led for more than half of the match ,but came away with nothing except they enhanced their reputation as a good ‘footballing’ team.

West Kent Sunday League Division Three including Sunday 28th April
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 FC Grinstead 16 13 1 2 64 29 35 40
2 TW Ridgewaye 15 11 1 3 66 29 37 34
3 Ticehurst Village 16 8 3 5 49 45 4 27
4 Biggin Hill JFC 16 7 4 5 48 39 9 25
5 Yalding & Laddingford 15 7 2 6 39 43 -4 23
6 Tonbridge Origin 16 7 1 8 55 54 1 22
7 Goudhurst United 16 6 3 7 47 47 0 21
8 Insulators Reserves 16 1 3 12 22 56 -34 6
9 Tonbridge United 16 1 2 13 19 67 -48 5

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page