West Kent Sunday League News Report – Sunday 23rd September 2018 -updated

Not a good day for our four teams in the three Kent Sunday Cups, amid some frankly quite ludicrous scores! St John's Yard were re-instated following the revelation that their opponents had used an ineligible player - see below.

Kent Sunday Premier Cup

Royal Oak met the powerful Park Royal FC of the Maidstone League and fell to a heavy 7-0 home defeat.

Kent Sunday Junior Cup

Insulators came back empty handed after a long trip to Kennington, near Ashford. They lost 3-1 to Lolzors FC, Martin Page-Mitchell scoring.

Seventeen goals were scored during normal and extra time at the Hilbert where St John's Yard lost 8-9 to Ashtone Galacticos. Yard's scorers were Josh Williams 3, Rory Wilson 2,  Jack Veness, Lewis Stack and Dan Hunter. It is not known whether the nets wore out. What came to light a few days after the game was that the player who scored eight of the visitor's none goals was ineligible! Ashstone Galacticos were therefore dismissed from the competition and St John's yard re-instated. The 'reward' was an away trip all the way to Appledore!

Kent Sunday Junior Trophy

Tonbridge Origin’s Kent Cup campaign ended in the first round after a dramatic 8-7 loss against Maidstone Tempests.

Origin came into the game with confidence after a 10-1 victory the previous week. They took an early lead, with Bobby Brown scoring a headed goal from a corner. Origin had control of the game and were 3-0 up by the mid point of the first half. However, just before half time, Maidstone Tempests scored on the break, making the score 3-1 at half time.

Maidstone Tempests scored early in the second half to bring themselves back in the game. However, Dean Larter scored from outside of the box to put Origin 4-2 ahead and appear to be comfortable again. This was not to be the case with Tempests scoring soon after and making it 4-3. Origin scored twice more making it 6-3. A combination of a defensive reshuffle and a strong winds meant that Tempests were able to attack towards the end of the game, and scored an equaliser right at the death, making it 7-7 after normal time. Top goal scorer Ben Holder had scored four times by this point with Dean Larter also scoring twice.

Tempests took the victory by scoring a further goal in extra time. The effort appeared to be a cross, hitting both posts before crossing the line. Origin piled on the pressure towards the end of extra time but were unable to find an equaliser. Full time 8-7.

Origin were left wondering how after scoring seven goals, they were still on the losing team. Despite leading 3-0 and 6-3 during the game, a combination of poor finishing, defensive reshuffling, the weather and three disallowed goals meant it was not Origin's day. Origin return to league action next week against FC Hayward.

Division One

Simla moved to the top of the table on goal difference with a 7-1 away win at Armada. It wasn't long before Simla were two up through goals from Alex Carey and Steve Smith. Then Armada scored after winning a penalty, converted by Harry Tampsett. Two more goals in the first half for Simla came from Steve Smith and Joe Fuller giving them a 4-1 lead at the break. It was more of the same in the second half from Simla, with a goal from Harry Bamblett, a second from Alex Carey and a hat trick goal from Steve Smith.

Pembury Sunday maintained their 100% record with a good 5-3 win at Green Street Blues. Luke Packman added another two to his season total, three new names appeared in the scoring records, one goal each being scored by Robbie Bissett, Sean Rozen and Fred Johns. Rob Shearman, Mike Matthews and Mike Grimes scored for the Blues.

Artois United overcame Green Lane, who had started the season well, by the same score, scoring five times through  Stefan Draper (2), Reagan Cork (2) and Jack Funnell. The Lane's scorers were Sam Bryant, Josh Harris and Tommy Welch.

West Kent Sunday League Division One including Sunday 23rd September
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Simla 3 2 0 1 11 4 7 6
2 Pembury Sunday 3 2 0 1 16 10 6 6
3 Artois United 2 2 0 0 9 5 4 6
4 Green Lane 3 2 0 1 8 8 0 6
5 Green Street Blues 3 1 0 2 6 8 -2 3
6 Armada 3 1 0 2 8 11 -3 3
7 Paddock Wood 1 0 0 1 1 3 -2 0
8 Royal Oak 2 0 0 2 5 15 -10 0

Division Two

With the top two engaged in Kent Cup action, Speldhurst Rangers lost a chance of joining them at the top when they drew 2-2 at Brenchley. For their hosts, it was their first point of the season. Two mistakes and poor finishing cost Speldhurst in what was a leveller in regards to weather and pitch. A dominant first half saw Rangers take the lead with a well worked move playing through Ollie Crees, who slotted home.

Rangers then failed to deal with a ball over the top which saw Brenchley striker Dan Connolly race through and slot home. However Rangers went in to half time in the lead thanks to a lovely strike from outside the box by Matt Hafford.

Rangers never capitalised on their performance and in the last minute failed to clear a ball which was hit home by Olly Pratt after a goal mouth scramble.

There was a close game at Bayham where Cassidy's Phoenix overcame Crowborough Town by the odd goal in seven. The familiar name of Ben Boodle hit a hat-trick for the Phoenix, Alex Kibbey the other. Joe Bagwell scored all three for Town. Crowborough Town do have two keepers signed on but these things happen! One keeper was injured a week ago and the other on Saturday. Then on Sunday morning, with the manager having to find a 'volunteer' keeper, three players decided to drop out without warning leaving his options much reduced.

With the first awful weather of the season both teams gave their best, but with Town on the back foot by half time Cassidy's had built a two goal lead. They added a third early in the second half before the Crowborough half time 'discussion' took effect and they started to come into the game. New signing Joe Bagwell opened his account for the club to make it 3 - 1 and then proceeded to add two more to complete a debut hat-trick and bring the scores level. With time running out, Crowborough went looking for the winner only to be thwarted by the Cassidy's keeper. He launched a long ball downfield to find a team-mate in the right place at the right time and he made no mistake to clinch the winner and take all three points.

The game between Dormansland Rockets and Petts Wood OB was called off.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two including Sunday 23rd September
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Insulators 2 2 0 0 12 2 10 6
2 St John's Yard 2 2 0 0 10 4 6 6
3 Speldhurst Rangers 2 1 1 0 8 6 2 4
4 Crowborough Town 3 1 0 2 8 9 -1 3
5 Cassidy's Phoenix 2 1 0 1 5 8 -3 3
6 Brenchley 3 0 1 2 7 15 -8 1
7 Dormansland Rockets 1 0 0 1 4 6 -2 0
8 Petts Wood OB 1 0 0 1 1 5 -4 0

Division Three

There were two huge scores in Division Three.  After last week's comparative success, FC Hayward fell mightily to the useful Ticehurst Village Club outfit. The Club's eleven goals included a five goal spree for Leon Fisher, two from Jason Marsh and Zak McEniry and single strikes by Ben Evans, Josh Macnab. I don't have the Hayward scorer.

Biggin Hill played host to TW Ridgewaye and lost 10-1. Ridgewaye look to be force to be reckoned with this season, their scorers were Dan Thomas (3), Dan Kommu (2),
Ben Adams (2), Harry Garside (2) and Tom Bridges.

Yalding & Laddingford's young side have started very well, three wins in three games, the latest being a 4-1 win over Tonbridge United. Fielding a squad containing five players of 18 years of age and under was always the aim of Yalding and Laddingford and this was the case against Tonbridge United.  Debutant Charlie Kavanagh was feeling his feet in midfield and despite a few tricky moments at the back on the slippy surface, Yalding were carving out chances but misfiring in front of goal. Tame shots at the keeper saw 30 minutes gone and a goal-less stalemate. However the deadlock was broken by a trademark Marc Faulkner freekick and then Billy Dunn was on the end of a slick passing move to drive home through the keeper´s legs. An early second half own goal, where a cross went in off the keeper, should have sewn up the game but credit to United who kept creating chances and finally got their reward with their own free kick hit home by Steve Causon.  Yalding then made a number of changes and secured the points when Ollie Tucker struck the ball home after an initial shot from Lloyd Lee was blocked.  The match official Brian Shelton was superb in atrocious conditions, with just the right amount of authority and game management.

West Kent Sunday League Division Three including Sunday 23rd September
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Goudhurst United 3 3 0 0 17 4 13 9
2 Yalding & Laddingford 3 3 0 0 9 4 5 9
3 TW Ridgewaye 3 2 1 0 25 4 21 7
4 Ticehurst Village 4 2 1 1 22 9 13 7
5 Tonbridge Origin 3 1 0 2 14 10 4 3
6 FC Grinstead 1 1 0 0 3 2 1 3
7 Tonbridge United 3 0 1 2 4 11 -7 1
8 Insulators Reserves 2 0 1 1 2 11 -9 1
9 Biggin Hill JFC 2 0 0 2 3 13 -10 0
10 FC Hayward 4 0 0 4 2 33 -31 0

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page