West Kent Sunday League News Report – Sunday 17th February 2019

It was a disappointing morning for our two remaining teams in the Kent Sunday Cups, but Dormansland Rockets have made it through to the final stages of the Surrey Sunday Junior Cup.

Surrey Sunday Lower Junior Cup

After travelling round the far flung regions of Surrey in previous rounds, Rockets were grateful for a home draw in the county cup. They were drawn against IFC Roffey who play in the Redhill Sunday League. As Roffey is in Sussex it seems strange to think they play in the Surrey cup! Roffey started on the front foot and it was no more than they deserved when they took the lead in the 15th minute. Rockets slowly but surely got back into the game and their pressure paid off when captain Dave Heaton was fouled in the area. The resulting penalty despatched by Rich Wetton. Further goals before half time were scored by Rich Wetton, Ross Waghorn and Miguel Figuera - Dunne to give Rockets a 4-1 half time lead . Roffey were the next to score when a free kick was not cleared properly. But before the opposition thoughts of a possible comeback were realised, TJ Stead scored to keep Rockets in the ascendancy. Further goals from TJ Stead and Rich Wetton, which brought up his hat-trick and his sixth of the season made the game safe at 7-2. Two late, late goals for Roffey at least gave them some consolation.

In the semi-finals, Rockets have been drawn away to Blacksmith's Arms, also of the Redhill Sunday League.

Kent Sunday Cups quarter-finals

Simla fell 5-1 at home to the powerful Quested FC.  Dan Lawrence scored the Simla goal. In the Junior Trophy, TW Ridgewaye bowed out 4-2 at home to Sporting Club Thamesmead. Dan Adams scored both goals.

WKSFL Senior Cup

There were three games in Group 2 of the WKSFL Senior Cup. Armada made qualification for the quarter-finals all but certain with a 2-0 win over Green Street Blues. Scott Amos scored both the goals. James Larkin in goal kept the clean sheet, his side's first in any competition this season.

Pembury Sunday are hot on their heels. A 4-3 win over Speldhurst Rangers gives them a real chance as they still have three group matches to play, one of which is against Armada. Speldhurst raced into an early lead when a lovely ball from James Hughes found Ollie Crees, who neatly finished at the near post. It was an open game from there on in with both teams trading attacks. Pembury equalised from a Speldhurst corner when their winger broke away and found a striker who, after four attempts at goal, squared it to another player who finished with a massive deflection. Pembury went 2-1 up 2 minutes later when a ball to the back post was slotted home.

Straight from the kick off Pembury made it 3-1 when another lofted ball to the back post was watched by the slumbering Liam Baldwin all the way to an unmarked player who headed home. Speldhurst got back in the game when Barney Mellors chipped a lovely free kick onto Ollie Crees head and equalized after lovely work from James Hughes down the right set up Ben Watts with a tap in at the back post. Pembury benefited from a quick free kick which left their player one on one with the 'keeper where he slotted home to make it 4-3. Speldhurst pressed for the equaliser but it didn't come. A great contest for those watching and playing.  Pembury's Charlie Johns scored twice, Fred Johns and Tom Price one each.

Insulators retained a chance of qualifying for the senior cup quarter finals with a narrow win against Cassidy´s. Cassidy´s started the stronger and although there were chances at both ends it wasn't the greatest surprise when they took the lead with a fine shot by Matt Ferris from the edge of the box after 28 minutes. Both teams created half chances but it remained 0-1 at half time.

The second half was also end-to-end but gradually the home side came into the match. It as a good move that saw Insulators equalise. Martin Page-Mitchell played a clever pass to Tom Bridger who was over-lapping and his cross was met by Jake Pingault who headed home. A strong spell by 'Slators followed and a foul on skipper, James Philpott inside the box,  saw Jake Pingault calmly tuck away the penalty in the 73rd minute. Just three minutes later, Alex Clarke added a fine header to make it 3-1. Cassidys were far from out of it and a mix-up in the home defence led to a penalty that was put away in the 83rd minutes by Josh Ennis. More chances followed but Insulators held on for the win.

Cassidy's have finished their group programme and have only the slimmest chance of making it through. Other than Speldhurst Rangers, any of the other teams can qualify so the last few games are going to be closely contested.

West Kent Sunday League Senior Cup Group 2 including Sunday
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Armada 6 4 0 2 21 14 7 12
2 Pembury Sunday 4 3 1 0 13 7 6 10
3 Cassidy's Phoenix 7 3 0 4 30 22 8 9
4 Royal Oak 5 3 0 2 14 14 0 9
5 Insulators 6 3 0 3 6 10 -4 9
6 St John's Yard 6 2 1 3 22 28 -6 7
7 Green Street Blues 5 2 0 3 19 13 6 6
8 Speldhurst Rangers 7 2 0 5 14 31 -17 6

WKSFL Junior Cup

Ticehurst Village Club damaged Tonbridge Origin's chances of making the semi-finals with a 4-2 home win. Leon Fisher 2, Zack McEniry and  Josh Macnabwere the Ticehurst scorers, Dean Larter and Bobby Brown for Origin. The final two matches pitch the top two against each other. A point for Yalding & Laddingford would see them and FC Grinstead go through. Should Yalding lose, a good win for either Origin or TW Ridgewaye in their game would see the winners go through. Those two games will be played in March.

Division One

The only scheduled game, Green Lane v Artois United, was called off

Division Two

With Insulators engaged in cup duty, St John's Yard missed a trick when they were held 2-2 at home by Petts Wood Old Boys. In a  very hard fought game, PWOB went ahead after fifteen minutes when Jake Oke scored from the penalty spot.  Sam Allen increased the lead then the Yard then pulled one back with a goal  from Dan Hunter to make it 1 - 2 at Half time Ronnie Pugh then scored the equaliser about ten mins into the second half. PWOB were given another penalty  but this was saved by Michael Dimiris thus the game ended 2-2-at full time.

Brenchley recorded only their second league win of the season, a 3-2 victory at Crowborough Town, who are now rooted to the bottom of the table.  Rich Sutton, Michel Van Oorschot and Martin Aso were the successful Brenchley marksmen,  Dan Wright, Dale Ashman scored for Town.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two including Sunday 17th February
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Insulators 8 7 0 1 37 13 24 21
2 St John's Yard 8 4 2 2 29 17 12 14
3 Petts Wood OB 7 4 2 1 26 16 10 14
4 Speldhurst Rangers 8 3 1 4 26 28 -2 10
5 Brenchley 10 2 2 6 17 45 -28 8
6 Cassidy's Phoenix 7 2 1 4 15 25 -10 7
7 Dormansland Rockets 5 2 0 3 15 17 -2 6
8 Crowborough Town 7 2 0 5 16 20 -4 6

Division Three

FC Grinstead must now  think they are fairly certain of the title after a 3-1 win at Biggin Hill. Matt Bishop scored for Biggin Hill, Keiron Bence (2), Fred Webb for FC Grinstead.

With those above them having only three games remaining, all eyes will be on TW Ridgewaye with five games in arrears two of which are against FC Grinstead, as the long haul begins towards the end of the season.

West Kent Sunday League Division Three including Sunday 17th February
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 FC Grinstead 13 11 0 2 49 25 24 33
2 Ticehurst Village 13 6 3 4 41 36 5 21
3 TW Ridgewaye 8 6 1 1 44 16 28 19
4 Yalding & Laddingford 12 6 1 5 37 34 3 19
5 Goudhurst United 12 5 2 5 36 36 0 17
6 Tonbridge Origin 13 5 1 7 45 45 0 16
7 Biggin Hill JFC 12 4 3 5 30 36 -6 15
8 Insulators Reserves 9 1 1 7 13 37 -24 4
9 Tonbridge United 10 0 2 8 13 43 -30 2

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page