West Kent Sunday League News Report Sunday 16th December 2018

Sunday was a day for cup matches. Some didn't take place for weather related reasons but a couple were called off as some clubs found it hard to get a team together. Sign of the times? The league now takes a two week break with the season resuming on Sunday 6th January.

WKSFL Senior Cup

Group 1

Two big wins for the top two will go a long way to ensuring their qualification, but below them it's very open. Artois United did their goal difference a power of good with with a 10-2 win against Dormansland Rockets. Reagan Cork led the way with a hat-trick and there were two goals apiece for Jack Funnell and Peter Shaw. Other scorers were Nathan Moseley, Stefan Draper and Lucas Murrain. Draper now has 22 goals for the season so far, putting him two behind Tommy Welch of Green Lane at the top of the Division One goalscorers chart.

Simla kept up their challenge and must be favourites to top the group, having already played and beaten Artois United and with a game in hand. On Sunday they beat Brenchley 8-1, featuring two goals each from Ian Parsons and Steve Smith, with Clayton Cooper, Stewart Gostlow, Myles Lowden and Harry Bamblett also on the mark. Dave Hartfield scored the only goal for Brenchley. The game between Paddock Wood and Green Lane was called off.

West Kent Sunday League Senior Cup Group 1
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Artois United 5 4 0 1 36 12 24 12
2 Simla 4 4 0 0 25 6 19 12
3 Green Lane 4 2 0 2 14 12 2 6
4 Paddock Wood 4 2 0 2 10 9 1 6
5 Petts Wood OB 5 2 0 3 7 17 -10 6
6 Dormansland Rockets 3 1 0 2 11 20 -9 3
7 Brenchley 6 1 0 5 15 28 -13 3
8 Crowborough Town 3 1 0 2 5 19 -14 3

Group 2

Only one of the three scheduled games took place and it was an important win for St John's Yard to keep them in touch with leaders Armada. They said it was good to get a game under their belt before Christmas, having not played for two weeks. It was not quite as one sided as the score suggests, but  the Yard were always in control apart from one mishap by the defence. Goal scorers in the 6-1 win over Cassidy's Phoenix were Kane  Crowhurst, two from Dan Hunter, one a a screamer from just inside the opponent's half, one from Ronnie Pugh and two by James Scott. With the top four going going through to the second round and a lot of games still to be played, this group is a tough one to call.

Speldhurst Rangers were unable to fulfil their fixture with Insulators, the latter being awarded the points.

West Kent Sunday League Senior Cup Group 2
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Armada 4 3 0 1 17 11 6 9
2 St John's Yard 4 2 1 1 20 12 8 7
3 Pembury Sunday 3 2 1 0 9 4 5 7
4 Cassidy's Phoenix 5 2 0 3 20 16 4 6
5 Speldhurst Rangers 6 2 0 4 11 27 -16 6
6 Green Street Blues 2 1 0 1 5 3 2 3
7 Royal Oak 3 1 0 2 8 12 -4 3
8 Insulators 3 1 0 2 0 5 -5 3

WKSFL Intermediate Cup

Crowborough Town 's meeting with Tonbridge Origin fell foul of the conditions.

WKSFL Junior Cup

Group 1

FC Grinstead made it nine wins on the trot in all competitions after their visit to TW Ridgewaye ended in a 5-2 win. Micky Neatherway hit his third hat-trick of the season, Connor Tobin also scored as did an un-named Ridgewaye player into his own net. Scorers for Ridgewaye were James Conner and Johnny Hughes.

Yalding and Laddingford collected useful points in a tight game at home to Ticehurst Village. The top two still have to meet in this group stage. Alex Young-Rogers scored twice for the hosts, Billy Dunn and Ollie Tucker the others in a 4-3 win. Sam Beaney became the sixteenth different player to score for the Village this season, also scoring were Aaron Cochrane and Darren Nicol. Tonbridge Origin possibly hold the key to this group, having played only the one game which was a defeat against FC Grinstead. If Origin win their three remaining games they would qualify if Yalding fail to beat FC Grinstead in that upcoming match.

Group 2

After ten successive defeats, Tonbridge United seem to have turned a corner with their second draw in two games, although they are another team that hadn't played for two weeks. A 1-1 draw against Insulators Reserves, the goal being scored by top man Reece Dangerfield, means that, to go through, Biggin Hill must take a point off Goudhurst United when two meet in the final game of Group 2. Jake Pingaulty scored for Insulators. That final group game was scheduled for Sunday but called off, the second postponement in a row at their ground.

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page