West Kent Sunday League News Report – Sunday 7th April 2019

WKSFL Intermediate Cup

Despite a lengthy absentee list which included captain Ben Terry, top scorer Rich Wetton and influential midfielder Ali Jones, Dormansland Rockets managed to come away from St John's Yard with a 5-3 first leg away win to take control of their intermediate Cup semi final. The deadlock was broken by Ross Waghorn from the penalty spot following a foul on Stephen Hodge and the lead was doubled soon after by Miguel Figueroa-Dunne after a defensive error, one of several mistakes that was punished. The Yard pulled a goal back, left back Sean Duncan getting forward well and showing great composure to slot past the keeper after Dormansland failed to clear their lines. It was 2-1 at the break. The Rockets extended their advantage soon after the restart, with Martyn Bishop stroking home from a TJ Stead set piece. St John's Yard made a couple of changes, one of which made immediate dividends as Rory Wilson halved the deficit with a header at the back post following a superb delivery from the left channel.

TJ Stead put the outcome of the came beyond doubt with a quick-fire double strike to make it 5-2 for the Rockets, before St John's Yard gave themselves a glimmer of hope for next week's second leg, pulling a goal back late on after James Scott converted off a corner. The game was played in good spirits and both sides will be looking forward to next week's return fixture with the Yard hoping for an improved performance.

WKSFL Junior Cup

Yalding and Laddingford made amends for a recent heavy League defeat at the hands of Biggin Hill by winning the first leg of the Junior Cup semi-final 2-0. Ollie Tucker and Lee Gower scored the all-important goals, while Will Martin in goal kept his third clean sheet of the season. The return leg will be on April 28th.

Division One

The only scheduled game, Armada v Green Street Blues, was abandoned ten minutes before time following a serious neck injury to the Armada goalkeeper. Blues were leading 3-2 at the time. The Management Committee is awaiting the referee's report before deciding whether the score should stand or the game be replayed.

Division Two

Petts Wood Old Boys kept up the pressure on leaders Insulators with a useful 2-0 win at Cassidy's Phoenix.  The top two are due to meet on the penultimate Sunday of the season after which the Old Boys face a difficult double header against Dormansland Rockets. The goals that kept them in the hunt for honours were scored by Sam Chadney and Kieran Day. Goalkeeper Nick Rose achieved his third clean sheet of the season to leas Division Two in that department.

In the other game, Crowborough Town recorded only their third league win of the season by beating Speldhurst Rangers 3-2 at Goldsmith´s.

The game at Goldsmiths on Sunday proved that it wasn't only Watford that could come from 2 - 0 down to steal a 3 - 2 victory. It was the classic game of two halves said our men on the sidelines.

Speldhurst started the better side even though it was a rather weary looking eleven suffering from the effects of playing for their Saturday clubs. It was well into the first half before Crowborough began to make a game of it. Then an amazing goal by Josh Fermor put the visitors ahead. A free kick from at least twenty yards out that struck the underside of the crossbar to put the visitors ahead and put the home men on the back foot again. With just five minutes of the half left it was no real surprise when Rangers scored again to put them two ahead. This time it was Barney Mellors, scoring with a trademark flick from a long throw by Ollie Crees.

Half Time :  Crowborough Town   0  -  2   Speldhurst Rangers

The half-time team 'discussion' seemed to work for Town and they looked a very different side straight from the re-start. Their pressure told after ten minutes when a penalty was tucked away by Ollie Hyland and it was game on. Richard Oddy conceded the penalty. His cries of innocence chuckled at by all on and off the pitch who failed to agree that the player had tripped over his own feet. Speldhurst's sound defensive work, good goalkeeping, and poor Crowborough finishing kept it at 2 - 1 until midway through the half Ollie Hyland scored a well taken goal to bring the scores level. Now it was all the home team and chance after chance went begging until from a mis-hit corner to the near post Ollie Hyland's header gave him his hat-trick and put Town ahead. Although Crowborough continued to press for another goal, with time running out, it was a Speldhurst break-away that nearly produced the next goal. In a frantic finish, Josh Fermor ran through and hit a powerful strike which was pushed out by Town's keeper Ryan Hunt making a great save. The ball falling to Barney Mellors who decided to take a poor first touch, before playing in Dan "The Badger" Kelly. Badger calling his own name (Badger) with the assurance and confidence of a man about to score and save his club from the third tier Sunday football, proceeded to scuff a ball from 8 yards into the Eridge countryside.

Full Time :  Crowborough Town   3  -  2   Speldhurst Rangers

West Kent Sunday League Division Two including Sunday 7th April
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Insulators 11 9 0 2 42 21 21 27
2 Petts Wood OB 10 7 2 1 38 17 21 23
3 St John's Yard 11 6 2 3 37 25 12 20
4 Cassidy's Phoenix 11 4 1 6 28 35 -7 13
5 Speldhurst Rangers 13 4 1 8 35 47 -12 13
6 Dormansland Rockets 8 4 0 4 27 24 3 12
7 Brenchley 14 3 2 9 22 56 -34 11
8 Crowborough Town 10 3 0 7 21 25 -4 9

Division Three

FC Grinstead finished their League programme and can now only watch and wait while TW Ridgewaye work their way through their fixture backlog. As the table shows, Ridgewaye have to win all the rest of their games to finish top of the League.  Grinstead do have the little matter of the Junior Cup semi final with Goudhurst United with which to occupy themselves. FC Grinstead did their goal difference a power of good, but even their 9-0 win over Tonbridge United won't be enough if Ridgewaye win their last four. There were two four goal hauls, by Keiron Bence and Mike Parr, Fred Webb adding the ninth. Harvey James became Grinstead's fourth different goalkeeper with a clean sheet this season. Ridgewaye for their part recorded an 8-1 win against Ticehurst Village, Dan Kommu scoring four of them. Leading scorer Adam Davies-Knight opened the scoring and also finding the mark were Dan Thomas, Ted Thomson and Harry Garside. Ridgewaye also scored for the opposition, an un-named player putting through his own net.

West Kent Sunday League Division Three including Sunday 7th April
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 FC Grinstead 16 13 1 2 64 29 35 40
2 TW Ridgewaye 12 9 1 2 60 24 36 28
3 Ticehurst Village 16 8 3 5 49 45 4 27
4 Biggin Hill JFC 14 6 3 5 41 37 4 21
5 Goudhurst United 16 6 3 7 47 47 0 21
6 Yalding & Laddingford 14 6 2 6 39 43 -4 20
7 Tonbridge Origin 15 6 1 8 52 52 0 19
8 Insulators Reserves 14 1 2 11 20 54 -34 5
9 Tonbridge United 13 1 2 10 17 58 -41 5

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page