West Kent Sunday League News Report – Sunday 4th November 2018

WKSFL Junior Cup

In Group 1, a close game between Tonbridge Origin and FC Grinstead ended 1-0 to Grinstead, the only goal being an own goal by an un-named Origin player. Charly Harris, an outfield player by trade, was in goal and became the fifth Division Three player to keep a clean sheet this season.

In the other Group 1 game,  TW Ridgewaye returned to Ticehurst after their 2-2 draw on 16th September.  Ridgewaye kicked off down the slope for the first half.  Both teams were guilty of playing too much long ball throughout the game, though Ridgewaye were more disciplined in their passing in the first half.  During that half, Dave Pringuer cut in from the right and hit a good hard shot.  The Ticehurst ‘keeper made a good block, but the rebound fell to Ted Thomson who scored with a low shot.  The second half was more open, and Jason Marsh scored the equaliser after the Ridgewaye ‘keeper dropped the ball under pressure.  Ridgewaye reorganised and tried to reassert control of the fixture.  James Corner, an 18 year old right back, cut in and managed to run along the goal-line and squeeze a shot in off the far post.  A similar move had Richard Hill beating the full back and he squared the ball to Jonny Hughes to make it 3-1. Towards the end another long ball, caught out the Ridgewaye defence and Rob Guile beat the keepers left hand to pull one back.   Ricky Riddall refereed, and kept his customary tight control of the game.

 In Group 2, Goudhurst United opened up a clear lead after a 7-2 home win against Tonbridge United.  Once again, Harvey Parks scored for United, two more to bring his tally to 17 for the season. I wonder if he has a bet on to score in every game he plays in? Adding to those goals were two by James Murphy and one each for Ben Young, Michael Peevor and Ricky Norman. Tonbridge United's scorers were Alex Williamson and Steve Causon.

The final group game for Goudhurst United will be against Biggin Hill, date tba. A draw will see them through to the next stage after Biggin Hill's' defeat at the hands of Insulators Reserves. A good competitive game saw both sides keep a clean sheet in the first half - something of a novelty for both!

In the second half the away side took the lead on 55 minutes through Alfie Hough and it was looking unpromising for the Insulators,  despite them playing some good football. It was an inspired substitution by manager Gareth Edwards to change the game. He introduced Carl Chivers into the action and was rewarded by an equaliser on 70 minutes. With just over five minutes remaining the same player converted a penalty to seal a 2-1 win. Insulators Reserves will face Tonbridge United in their final game, which they will need to win to go through and hope that Biggin Hill don't.

Division One

Simla stay at the top of the table after a comprehensive 8-1 win at Paddock Wood. There was a good start for Simla, with Brad Draper heading home from a corner and two goals from Ian Parsons giving Simla a 3 - 0 lead within 20 minutes. Two further goals in the first half from David Blundell and Steve Smith made it 5-0 at the break.

Within 5 minutes of the start of the second half Paddock Wood scored from the penalty spot, Lamin Fuller being on target. But from the restart Ian Parsons scored again for his hat-trick. Two more goals in second half came from Bayley Colbran and Myles Lowden. Final score Paddock Wood 1  Simla 8.

Artois United are hot on their heels with a 100% record after four games. The top will meet on 25th November. Artois' result on Sunday was a 3-1 victory at home to Pembury Sunday, in which the League's top goalscorer Stefan Draper (19 goals) hit the back of the net twice and Peter Shaw scored the third. Pembury's reply was by Luke Packman.

Royal Oak's tough start to life in Division One continued when they went down 5-1 at home to Armada. Tommy Gray scored their only goal, while for Armada familiar names appear on the scoresheet - Harry Tampsett with two, Tom Cobb, Jack Rusbridge and Sam Renshaw one each. Sam Renshaw is the fourteenth different player to score for Armada in WKSFL matches this season.

West Kent Sunday League Division One including Sunday 4th November
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Simla 6 5 0 1 30 6 24 15
2 Artois United 4 4 0 0 21 9 12 12
3 Green Lane 5 4 0 1 15 9 6 12
4 Armada 5 3 0 2 23 13 10 9
5 Pembury Sunday 6 3 0 3 22 19 3 9
6 Green Street Blues 7 2 0 5 16 33 -17 6
7 Royal Oak 5 0 0 5 9 25 -16 0
8 Paddock Wood 4 0 0 4 4 26 -22 0

Division Two

Brenchley gained their first win of the season and Insulators suffered their first League defeat on Sunday. A hat-trick by Brenchley's Mike Williams made all the difference. After a comfortable win in the league in September, it may have been expected that another might follow for Insulators against Brenchley. A good even game saw chances for both sides in the first half hour, but it was Jake Pingault who put Insulators ahead on 31 minutes with a shot from the edge of the box after a fine pass from Lewis Mitchell. Just before half time Ryan Cole scored his first goal for the club with a fine shot into the top right corner. 2-0 to Insulators at half time.

The second half saw Brenchley come into the game and winning most of the challenges. It wasn't too much of a surprise when Williams smashed the ball into the net on the hour mark. Perhaps the match was influenced when an Insulators goal was controversially disallowed in the 70th minute. The linesman flagged a goal offside during what was described as a second phase offside, when a Brenchley player headed the ball into the six yard box to an Insulators player. (Seems the current offside or not debate is not confined to the Premier League!)

Just two minutes later Williams equalised for Brenchley and soon followed with what turned out to be the winner following a mix up between the Insulators 'keeper and his defenders. Overall, Brenchley put more into the second half and Insulators never really got going.

That result opens up the table a little but St John's Yard may regret dropping points at Petts Wood Old Boys in a 3-3 draw. The Old Boys have had a stop-start season and hadn't played for two weeks, but gained their first league point thanks to a hat-trick by Billy Parkinson. It was a very hard game (from the St John's Yard point of view) in which they were ahead 2-1 at half time. Scorers for the Yard were James Scott (2) and Lewis Stack.

Dormansland Rockets seem to have got into gear after a stuttering start and notched up their third win on the trot at Crowborough Town. Scorers in the 5-1 win were Rich Wetton (2), Shane Clarabutt (2) and Matt Clift. Town's sole reward for the morning's effort was a goal by Andy Pollard.

Finally, Cassidy's Phoenix just got the better of Speldhurst Rangers in a 3-2 win at the Rec. Rangers started strongly and were quickly awarded a penalty when Barney Mellors was kicked in the head. He brushed himself off and proceeded to clear the bar with his penalty. He made up for it ten minutes later when he opened the scoring for an Ollie Crees long throw.

Cassidy's immediately equalised with a long throw of their own, Ben Boodle scoring the first of what proved to be his fourth hat-trick of the season, before Josh Fermor cutely lobbed the oncoming keeper. Speldhurst went into half time 2-1 up however the lack of substites hurt them as Cassidy's came out the second half full throttle.

It became 2-2 when Speldhurst keeper Liam Baldwin did well to save a swerving shot before Boodle followed up for a tap in.

Attack after attack followed from Cassidy's, which finally paid off when a mix up at the back allowed Boodle through to complete his hat-trick when scoring the winner late on.

West Kent Sunday League Division Two including Sunday 4th November
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Insulators 5 4 0 1 22 8 14 12
2 St John's Yard 4 2 1 1 16 11 5 7
3 Dormansland Rockets 4 2 0 2 14 13 1 6
4 Cassidy's Phoenix 4 2 0 2 10 15 -5 6
5 Speldhurst Rangers 3 1 1 1 10 9 1 4
6 Brenchley 4 1 1 2 10 17 -7 4
7 Crowborough Town 4 1 0 3 9 14 -5 3
8 Petts Wood OB 2 0 1 1 4 8 -4 1

Division Three

There were no games in Division Three with teams engaged in WKSFL Junior Cup ties.

Back to the reports index

Back to the main page